Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Day 2008

It’s over. The longest and most expensive presidential campaign in U. S. history ended last night with Barack Obama’s clear victory, both in the electoral and popular vote. His victory did not come easy; he had to outfight formidable opponents in Hillary Clinton and John McCain and persuade Americans that he had the ability to lead them in tough times. But the precision and professionalism with which he and his advisors ran his campaign made him the decisive winner and gave America its first African American president. It was a stunning moment, especially for people like me who vividly remember that less than fifty years ago, segregation was legal in the South and de facto segregation was pervasive in the North. Barack Obama’s victory does not mark the end of racism in the United States, but I think that it marks the beginning of the end.

This election galvanized voters of all parties. Everywhere I went yesterday, people sported “I Voted” stickers and were eager to discuss the election. My husband and I went to West Springfield High School at 7:15 AM to vote and found that the line was already snaking its way out of the building. But despite the early hour and the long line, people were upbeat and talkative, energized (in part) by the coffee and baked goods volunteers were selling outside, but mostly by a keen awareness that we were taking part in a historic election. Our long line moved swiftly, and in less than an hour, my husband and I were inside the school and voting. The use of scannable paper ballots made it possible for more people to vote at once, and this new voting method kept the line moving and frustration low. What about you? What happened when you went to vote?

On Mason’s campus, the weather was dreary and damp, but spirits were high.

Student Government ran vans to the Woodson High School polling place, and volunteers promoted this service by becoming “human advertisements.”

Rain apparently, does not damper revolutions!


This guy stole my heart!

Our university was not without its own drama. Yesterday morning, a hacker broke into the Provost’s email account and sent out a fake message announcing that the election had been moved to November 5th. Rumors circulated that Mason students who voted could lose their financial aid.

But such lame attempts proved ineffective against the smart and savvy youthful voters who went to the polls in record numbers. Your demographic – voters between the ages of 18 and 25 – voted overwhelmingly for Obama and helped power him to victory. Now it’s your turn to act upon that mandate and consider how you will help him guide our nation toward economic recovery, energy reform, and improved security both at home and abroad.

How will you meet the challenge Obama made to all Americans in his victory speech last night that change can’t happen without “a new spirit of patriotism, a new spirit of sacrifice?” How has this election influenced your outlook on the future and the role you will play in it as a working professional?

4 comments:

AJ W. said...

Took me a half hour, plenty of democrat supporters (arlington is 70-80% percent democrat). Republicans usually don't run in arlington since they usually lose so I wrote in votes just to say I voted. I selected a paper ballot because a) the line was shorter and b) I'd rather vote the way everyone will vote eventually than use the computer which is subject to flaws.

AJ W. said...

In response to question two, I'm afraid for the country if "patriotism" and "sacrifice" means redistribution of wealth and watered down health care and other public services. I feel that massive tax increases will stifle creativity from those who have earned their high salaries.

I certainly don't feel empowered but I can't be bitter about it because the only people that can do that and make money are Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.

Of course, if his plans work I don't intend to eat my words as a republican because I believe the republican way still works. We'll just have to wait it out and the biggest indicator of his success and failure will be the 2010 elections, as it was in '06 in Bush's second term...

Ashley S. said...

This was my first time voting, and I really felt like I was fulfilling my duty as an American citizen. The actual experience went very easy; there were no lines, and I was in and out of the polling place within 10 minutes. I used the electronic ballot instead of the paper ballot, which was really easy as well. When Obama was announced as the winner of the election, I felt absolutely proud to call myself an American. I am very excited to see what unravels in the next four years. I think that everyone needs to understand that we as a nation are under one of the toughest times that we have been, and Obama's term will be a very difficult one to come out on top of. I am looking forward to a change in our nation and how it is run, and I fully believe that Obama can provide us with that change, but like he said, we have to work together to make this happen. One person cant change our country. I think that we need to pull together and really start making sacrifices for any real change to come about. I think that having Obama as our leader will definitely benefit us as a whole.

Anonymous said...

This year's election day was, I would say, the most extraordinary experience in my life. although I didn't go to vote I watched people voting on TV... and it was amazing to see the enthusiasm.
At 11 pm when they announced the winner, I was really happy for him.
I think this day has opened the door for other people not only in America but in the world (who think there are some things that can not be attained, I think Obama has sent the message: "Yes we can!")
This race has been about personality but not race, which
I think will create a great atmosphere at the working places in future. He thought us a lesson to work hard and anything is possible.